Wednesday 8 July 2009

A Tale of Two Cities

Wainwright at the feet of the master
Are you looking at me?

A friend of mine, Steve, who is in the legal profession, advised that I should visit Siena before visiting Florence (Firenze). He didn't say why and very kindly didn't charge for the advice, which is a first for a lawyer. My intention was to follow this advice, but that is not how it worked out.


I set off yesterday to visit the medieval walled town of Lucca. But, if I understood the chap at the station correctly, there was a strike and uncertainty whether or not the train would run. So, I took the next train to leave, which happened to go to Florence.

I don't recall ever visiting such a beautiful city. My pictures don't do it justice. Unfortunately, I had come dressed for the weather but not the occasion. I was wearing a nice vest which showed off my new tattoo admirably. In Italy, as in other countries, it is considered disrespectful to visit holy sites when not covered up properly. Thus I could not have gained access to the Duomo or similar places. No problem, I was happy to buy a map and walk round with Wainwright.

This approach meant that I saw a lot but learned very little.

Siena is Florence's rival. In fact they were at war for about 300 years. Although Siena is due south of Montecatini there is no direct rail link. To overcome this I booked a coach tour for today and this included tour guides. So I saw a lot AND learned a lot.

Our first stop was a medieval town called San Gimignano. I loved it there, it was so beautiful and very clean and the views from the hilltop fantastic.

We then had time to stop for a little wine tasting en route to Siena.

Here then are some facts I gleaned that you may not know about Tuscany:

The word 'malaria' originates from the Italian for bad air. This was usually prevalent in low lying areas, hence a reason why towns were built on hills (the main reason being defensive, of course).

8 minutes of the latest James Bond film, Quantum of Solace, were filmed in the main piazza at Siena. 1,800 extras were used and the scene cost $1m.

The predominant colour of the central Duomo in Siena is - Siena!

Chainti wine comes from a small traingle of Tuscany. In order to be classed as Chianti, it must have a content which is made up of 80% of San Giovese grapes.

The Palio is a horse race around the central piazza in Siena. The horses are ridden bareback and represent different districts in Siena. There are 17 districts but only room for 10 horses. There are 2 races a year - on 2 July and 14 August.

The Basilica at Siena actually contains the skull of Saint Catherine (I know, I saw her and she's not looking too good). In medieval times it was common to retain relics of the saints and these were a very important source of income for the churches who attracted the pilgrims.

Pistolia is both an area and a town in Tuscany. Visible from both the train and road are 20 Kilometres of market gardens growing shrubs like bay trees for export to your local garden centre.

I can't tell you which I liked best, Siena or Florence but I do understand why you should visit them in the correct order. Siena is a very well preserved city that contains mainly medieval architecture. Whereas in Florence the architecture is mainly Renaissance. There is a definate progression between the two.

On reflection, maybe I prefer Florence best, because it has streets named after the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Live long and prosper.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry, I spent ages writing this but when I pressed publish it has corrupted. It was my best blog ever!

    MAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted you got a lead for your camera and wow - the pictures are indeed impressive. I thought Wainwright would steal the show and indeed he has although clearly the naked guy on the plinth is not too impressed (he does look a bit grey - is it cold).

    Robert Frost once said of lawyers, "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide which side has got the best lawyer."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your blog. Am full of envy but so very glad that you having as much fun as you anticipated. I follow ypour adventures with bated breath. Lisa A-B from HP xx

    ReplyDelete