Friday 17 July 2009

The Lakes

Wainwright is excited again, being all tucked up as he is in my holdall ready for his next adventure.

This one doesn't involve trains or planes, just the automobile. Tomorrow morning Wainwright, my youngest son, Mike, our dog, Tessa, and I will be driving to the Lake District where I have rented a property on the outskirts of Grasmere.

I think that of all my trips this one has the most difficult to organise. The two bedroomed lodge was recommended by my friend Ian and as it is very popular I booked it a year in advance. The trouble was I had no idea who would be staying there. Would 2 bedrooms be enough? Would it just be me and the dog?

It was only a few minutes ago that I was able to get final confirmation from my daughter, Jess, of her and her boyfriend's plans. The bottom line is that all three of my children will be joining me at some point (eldest son, Chris, is fortuitously on leave and is coming over from Germany), although they will not all be there at the same time. This is good news indeed.

Trying to ensure that we have the equipment to cater for all kinds of weather and eventuality means that there are still a few tasks to be sorted. I'll be glad when I've got my feet up tomorrow night with a glass of the nice Chianti I brought back from Italy in my mit.

Yet more good news. My friend Peter has been granted a pass of three to four weeks duration by his understanding wife and will be joining me for an extended Boy's Weekend away in New Zealand in January/February of next year.

I am very excited about this. I would have gone on my own but wasn't sure that I'd be all that happy being away from home so long. Now the planning can begin. And thanks to my kind former work collagues I have a copy of The Rough Guide to New Zealand to start thumbing through.

Finally, a friend of mine, Lisa, has kindly mentioned my blog on her blog so it is only fair to return the favour. Try http://foodiefashionista.blog.co.uk/ . The blog is mainly about food (and drink), laced with good humour and clever observations. An excellent read.

Right, it's time to feed the snakes. Here's a good food tip of my own, but it's only for snakes. Always defrost the nice, cute mice in warm water before consuming. Never microwave the mice as it makes the legs too crispy.

There isn't an internet connection at our holiday lodge so you can have a week's break from Wainwright and me. Until then....

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Good to have you back - enjoy your time in one of the lovliest parts of the UK.

    Regards
    RLS

    ReplyDelete