Monday 6 July 2009

More water

Having described the local spa water as tasting like something from your neighbourhood swimming pool, I set out this morning and actually swam in the stuff to prove my point.

By this I mean that I spent about 45 minutes relaxing in the thermal spa, a 20 metre swimming pool full of hot spa waters. Clearly, this is the source of the water I drank yesterday and once people have swum in it, presumeably to add a bit more flavour, it is piped down the road to the very elegant spa centre. They're not fooling anyone. I looked for separate feeds to the sinks I saw yesterday but they were cunningly hidden.

I certainly enjoyed being in the water more than drinking it and was very careful to keep my mouth closed at all times. For reasons I cannot fathom, the very stern looking female attendant insisted that I wear a plastic shower cap at all times. What's all that about? I think they just enjoy making you look silly - swimming up and down with a plastic bag on your head.

After a very relaxing time in the pool I went up in the world, via a funicular (I love that word) railway to Montecatini Alto. This is the old town of Montecatini and as the name implies, it is high up on a hillside.

Lunch there was bliss. Fantastic food, exceptional local wine, all taken outdoors while the world and his dog gently made their way through the medieval street.

The 13th century church was the best part. It housed the odd piece of renaissance artwork, but what I liked about it was the feeling it gave of total peace. Here was a place where the locals have made their devotions for hundreds of years and I always find that buildings like that have something very calming and graceful woven into their fabric or absorbed over the years.

When I chose this holiday I opted for 9 days instead of 7 as I always find the first 2 days of being somewhere new is about getting orientated and falling into its rhythm. Well, I'm well and truely settled now, so time to venture further. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Live long and prosper.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite classical songs is the simple and short funiculi funicula which was written by one Italian and composed by another Italian in 1880 to commemorate the building of the funicula railway on Mount Vesuvius. Sadly it all went to rat when Vesuvious inconsiderately erupted in 1944. Sounds like Montecatini is a very spritual place.

    Thunderstorms and heavy rain showers here today, but was good for meditation at my meditation class tonight.

    Regards
    Rarelesserspotted

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a day where I've seen a lot but not learned much I now know the origins of the song. I honestly believed it was a Gilbert and Sullivan concoction. I was tempted to make reference to it in the blog, but would have betrayed my ignorance. Cheers RLS.

    By the way, I posted a message on your blog but it seems not to have arrived. I hope you realise that the new you - slimmer and beardless - will mean a new passport photo is required?

    Cheers,

    MAG

    ReplyDelete