Sunday 12 July 2009

Arrivederci Montecatini

The Spa, Montecatini

My time in Italy is almost at an end. I have used the weekend for idling, loafing and thinking about the months ahead.

Mostly I have eaten at the hotel as the veggie food here is excellent. But last night I put on some decent threads and splashed out on a meal at a very good restaurant. The bottle of mature Chianti I washed it down with was particularly nice.

Afterwards I strolled through the centre of Montecatini. Even though it was getting on for midnight many shops were open and the streets were busy with people. It was a very different atmosphere to what you might experience in English towns and cities at that time of night.

I have completed reading Blood River by Tim Butcher - his account of a harrowing journey through the modern day Congo, in the footsteps of Henry Morton Stanley. It is a very well written and well researched book that I recommend to anyone who is interested in Africa. It is not the Bill Bryson type of travel writing though - no funny anecdotes here, just many awful stories that will break your heart because of the massive potential of the Congo that goes undeveloped whilst the majority of its people suffer horrific and numerous cruelties.

I also sat down with myself and went over next near's appraisal - setting goals and performance objectives for the coming year.

One of my aims is to 'seek out odd ways of making money'. I have considered being a male gigolo but at a pound a go I'm not going to keep the wolf from the door.

A few weeks ago I had my local photographer take a few shots of me and to provide them as digital images. This was partly for posterity but mainly so I could register on an 'Extras' web site.

This morning I duly set about the process. I was a bit dubious about it as there is a charge of £5.99 per month for creating your profile and making it available on the website. I signed up for 6 months to see what happens.

Once everything is set up the site links you up with a variety of opportunities - for acting, TV gameshows, writing, singing etc.

So, I have applied for the following:

To audition for any of a number of parts in 'City of Hell', a 'gritty film noir that is intended for the Cannes film festival'. In my application I stated that I had worked in the City of Hull and was therefore suitably qualified for the parts.

To join a Leeds based agency requiring actors and walk-ons.

To work for a company that stages murder mysteries.

Being realistic, I don't imagine that my £36 will lead to much. On the negative side, most of the work is around London. But on the plus side most of the 'actors' listed are young people and in my area there are only 2 of us available - and the other one is a lady. So you never know.

The point is I am doing what I have long wanted to do - looking for life's more exciting opportunities as an alternative to living a hum drum existence just because it pays well.

In my experience when you seize opportunities that at first sight seem to be daunting and challenge your self-doubt, then they have a habit of taking you on a journey that you didn't expect. One thing is for sure, you always learn something, usually about yourself.

If I can successfully complete my three train journeys back to the airport tomorrow without suffering the ire of Italian train officials and if, more importantly, the trains run to schedule (they tend not to) then Wainwright and I will see you back in good old Blighty.

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment