Monday 3 August 2009

Complaint Letters



I seem to have wasted a large chunk of my day trying to persuade my bank, the HSBC, to allow me to spend my own money. The problem began 4 days ago when I rather inconveniently decided to purchase further Premium Bonds on line. The HSBC took a dim view of this and blocked my transaction. I could understand it if they blocked me once and I can accept that they were acting in my perceived best interests. But despite their assurances that I could proceed I am still awaiting an outcome and have now made four attempts to spend, what is after all, my own money. To date I have spoken to 4 or 5 people on the Indian sub-continent, a chap in Scotland, a young lady in England and a Tim in Wales. Do the HSBC have something against the Irish or are they saving that one for last?

Whilst waiting to see if it will be a case of fourth time lucky I have drafted my letter of complaint informing the bank that after 33 years as a customer this is not how I expect myself, or anyone else for that matter, to be treated and what are they going to do about it?

Having penned my somewhat lengthy missive I feel better and I do think that a good letter of complaint is both an art and a pleasure. I am particularly pleased with my creativity when informing the bank of my latest attempt to buy bloody Premium Bonds. It reads:

By this, my fourth time, I am getting good at buying Premium Bonds and score a personal best for the time taken for the transaction - 4 minutes and 50 seconds.

My efforts at wit and sarcasm are nothing though when compared to the 'The World's best passenger complaint letter.' Follow this link and have a giggle:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/4344890/Virgin-the-worlds-best-passenger-complaint-letter.html

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps they should sue some of their £3Bn profits, facilitated by a generous public purse to simply have someone watch while the computer at their end processes your transaction and to kick it into letting it past the security checks. Years ago, you would have gone into a Post Office (remember them?) and handed over a cheque and a form to a smiling human being (okay, well perhaps not smiling) but knowing that it would happen and in a couple of weeks your receipt for the bonds would be popping through your letterbox.
    Ah memories...
    Regards
    RLS

    ReplyDelete