Sunday 9 August 2009

Another race, another adventure.

I'm afraid it was a case of the tortoise and the hare at the 10k race at Elloughton this morning.

It wasn't the most spectacular or enjoyable of races. It was very hot, there was a total absence of any comedy nuns or super-heroes and no land marks, only long, boring roads.

Had it been a 4 mile race my youngest son would have done well. Sadly, 10k is 6.2 miles. He set off at a cracking pace and I lumbered along at my usual steady lollop. About a mile and half from the finish I caught up with my son, who was clutching his side and suffering from a stitch. He ran with me for a while but it soon became obvious his race was all but over. I'm not sure what the official times were yet, but there was less than 3 minutes between us, but not in the order I had imagined.

Still, he learned a valuable lesson, not least that 10k is not an easy distance to run. The gauntlet has been thrown down for a re-match at next year's Beverley 10k.

There is fine line between a spirit of adventure and reckless stupidity and I'm not quite sure which side of it I'm on. After the race I took my family for a big breakfast in the local pub (a rare treat for me). It was lovely and all I need now to fully recover from my exertions is to have a nice nap for an hour or so. Instead of doing that youngest son and I are embarking on a 5 journey south as soon as I hit the publish button on here. We are staying at a hotel near Gatwick and then flying to Turkey in the morning.

This is our activities holiday. I've never had to train for a holiday before but this one demands a certain amount of fitness that should put off normal, sensible people of my age. It includes white water rafting, cannyoning, sea kyaking, walking, swimming, sub-aqua, mountain biking and a chance to go paragliding. And that's just the first day, before breakfast. Actually, no, it's not an SAS survival selection week but as I drag my weary body around the house while ticking off my mental check-list, it seems like a big challenge for one week.

Will I survive? You'll find out in 8 days. I hope they've got a very small life-jacket for Wainwright when we go rafting.

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment