Thursday 31 December 2009

The Opera's not over.....





Well at last it's finished. The turkey I mean. My dog, Tessa, had the last pickings for breakfast.

I hope that Christmas was everything you wanted it to be. I certainly enjoyed it. It was great to have all three of my children around me. A rare treat.

The Airfix Spitfire I got from my sons is coming along slowly. I have only got as far as building a bit of the engine and my efforts consist of 10% of my time gluing, 10% painting and 80% trying to find the bloody parts. There are 185 of them and if they are in some logical order on their little plastic spruces then I have yet to work out what it is.

As write it is New Year's Eve and 2010 is almost upon us. I am hugely excited. Not about the new year as such, but about what it might bring. Naturally, my thoughts have turned to Australia, which is just over 3 weeks away.

I am excited about travelling to a whole new continent and about venturing further than I have before in my life. Being away for 5 weeks is also a first, although I will worry about my kids and my dog. But what is exciting me most is the thought of all the fabulous things I can do 'down under'.

When I left work my gracious friends and colleagues bought me the Lonely Planet Guide to New Zealand and also gave me a generous token to be used at Waterstones. I used part of the token to buy the similar guide to Australia.

Travel guides are odd books because unless you travel the length and breadth of a country you don't bother to read all the pages. But what you do read is invaluable. With these 2 books I have been able to plan the travel and accommodation for both countries. So well done to my kind and generous friends for such a great gift.

Well done also to the Youth Hostel Association.

Tucked up in bed last night I read about what there is to do in Sydney, the first stop on my tour. I realised then just how well situated the youth hostel I am staying at is. All the things I want to see are within walking distance and it is right next to the central station, which is great as there is a train link from the airport and that is my point of departure on the India-Pacific Railway. And it only costs about £18 a night for bed and breakfast. That's fantastic.

Based on my reading I have picked my top 3 tourist attractions in Sydney. The first is the Chinese Garden of Friendship. Described as 'an oasis of tranquillity in the otherwise hectic Darling Harbour' it is a kangaroo's jump from the hostel. Second is the Opera House. I have booked to see a play on my second evening. The play is a period piece called Optimism. It doesn't sound that great but hey, IT'S IN THE FREAKIN SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE! I'll just be so awed to be there I won't care if it's freakish clowns juggling on unicycles waiting for Godot, it'll be great.

I've saved the best for my last full day, which just happens to be the 26th January - Australia Day. The day that celebrates the arrival of the first settlers (aka convicts) in 1788. On this auspicious day I am taking the 3 hour walk up and over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. And if I survive that I'll have time for a few cold ones in the harbour before I head back to the Opera House for the guided tour. I might even squeeze in the harbour cruise.

So that's Sydney sorted. Bed time reading tonight will be Adelaide. I'm still not sure what to do about that swimming with dolphins (and bloody great sharks) trip.

Best wishes for 2010.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. All my very best wishes to you and your family - have a great one!
    Tally Hooooooooooooooooooooo!
    RLS
    X

    ReplyDelete