Tuesday 6 April 2010

Zumerzet






I am back fully refreshed after my week in Somerset. The weather could have been kinder but I was never bored and even when the rain was pouring down outside it was nice to stoke up the wood burning stove and snuggle down for a good read and the odd nap. Did I catch the big fish? Read tomorrow's blog to find out.

Apologies to anyone following my Australian and New Zealand adventures. I will pick them up again soon, it's just that I have other projects pressing on me too. I am on the PlayWrite course at Hull Truck now and that demands a fair bit of 'homework' and script reading. I am also meeting my university tutor on Wednesday and I have about a month left to complete my final submission to my degree course and ensure it is of the required standard.

Whilst I was away I received a reply from one of the literary agents I had approached. He said:

'The travel book market is so constrained these days that I fear we would find it difficult to place your work with a publisher.'

Not the response I was hoping for, which was more along the lines of:

'Wow! You are so funny and original. When can you sign?'

I'm not downcast about it, but it does pose a dilemma - should I complete my book as planned or would I be better investing my energies in other areas, such as play writing? Or, maybe I should just get a real job and have done with it.

Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way of my plans too. I intend to put my house on the market in May, so there is a fair bit to do in preparation for that. Not to mention a battle I am having with the solicitor who is supposed to be handling the probate for my father's estate. A 10 page letter of complaint is poised for sending. 'Smoke that you bastard', as my friend Ian would say.

I hope you like today's picture. It is one of the aurora borealis, taken from the plane I was on a couple of weeks or so ago. The picture was taken by one of the resident experts on board and is of much better quality than the one I took. Well, they didn't have to play musical chairs to get a view from the window.

Be back soon.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back and great news about your Playwriters course. Busy times ahead.

    ReplyDelete