Thursday 3 September 2009

East Africa



Wainwright is once more tucked away in my back-pack. Despite his chubby grin I do detect a hint of nerves as he prepares for his most epic and potentially hazardous journey to date. And after his Turkish adventure I have taken the precaution of packing his first aid kit (super-glue).

I share some of Wainwright's trepidation and will feel a lot happier when I am flying somewhere over France tomorrow night with a large gin and tonic in my hand. Compared with what is to come, the journey to Kings Cross should be easy. But I've travelled on these trains before and they often encounter problems. Once, we'd just gone through Stevenage and the bloody train caught fire!

I think Wainwright's mind is more focussed on Africa itself and the difficulties often faced by gnomes in the dark continent. Will a wild animal run off with him? Will he fall out of the hot air balloon? Might an entire village decide to make him their chief? Will a sangoma put a spell on him? And what of the mountain gorillas? They are supposed to be peaceful but how will they react to a very small person wearing black and amber?

You'll have to wait over two weeks to find out I'm afraid.

By the way, Right Ho, Jeeves and Generation Kill made it onto my final shortlist.

And finally....... The Premiership transfer window closed this week. The BBC website was alive all day on Tuesday awaiting news of big name signings by the bigger clubs. It was all a bit of a damp squib. But today lowly Hull City have outdone them all. They have signed Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink. As names go, surely they don't come any bigger than that? Try getting that printed on the back of your shirt. It'll double the cost.

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment