Saturday 9 May 2009

Upbeat


At the writing class I attend, the use of cliches is frowned upon. The sign of a lazy writer. But today is officially a rest day so I feel I am entitled to be lazy. So here goes - It's amazing how time flies. I say that because the events of this weekend one year ago are very clear in my mind. Well, the Sunday at least.


It was a very hot day, temperatures well into the twenties. My youngest son and I made our way to the local leisure centre to take part in two separate races. Not being very fit at the time, I took part in the 2k fun run. Despite being beaten out of sight by an 11 year old I enjoyed the experience. But I did feel somewhat inadequate compared to the real runners, including my son, who were getting ready for the gruelling 10k race. Could I ever manage that race? I doubted it.


My son put in a very commendable performance, despite the heat and a lack of any real training on his part. I was proud and envious. When both races were over, we made our way back to the car and as we did so someone spotted that I was wearing my Hull City shirt and ran up to tell me that City were 2 - nil up in the first leg of the Championship play-off against Watford.


Later that week I shed tears of joy as City finished the job at the KC Stadium and won 6 -1 on aggregate. Wembley here we come! The rest is history (whoops, lazy writing again). Seeing Dean Windass net that superb goal is something I will never forget.


What a difference a year makes (thought I'd go for the hat-trick, since we're on a footballing theme). I was back at the KC this afternoon to see City comprehensively beaten by Stoke. And although it isn't over until the morbidly obese female opera singer ceases her aria, I think the writing is on the wall and we face Championship football once more next season.


But what the hey! I've had a fantastic season, seen some of the world's best footballers and visited iconic grounds such as the Emirates and Stamford Bridge. And in 2 weeks I'll be at the KC to see the likes of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez put goals past us. Priceless. Since Christmas Hull City have been totally outclassed in the Premiership and have looked like a decent Championship side by comparison to their peers. And that's what they are - a decent Championship side. Which is a lot more than I could say 2 years ago when they narrowly avoided relegation from that league. Other clubs go down and bounce right back. Why not Hull City? What's best - to be beaten by fantastic teams every week or to see your side score lots of goals and win lots of games?


Of course, it is not only Hull City's fortunes that have changed in 12 months. I have changed too. There's quite a bit less of me for a start and tomorrow morning it's my turn to run with the big boys in the local 10k race.


As I've said before, God didn't build me with any form of long distance running in mind, so I'm a little bit nervous. But I've stuck religiously to the training guide provided by the local running club who organise the event and I've never missed a training run since I made my commitment to race 11 weeks ago.


I won't win. This is a race between me and the clock and if I can do it in under an hour I will be very pleased.


And if, like Hull City, I crash and burn at the last minute then at least I am glad to have had the experience and the courage to live the dream.
Live long and prosper.

2 comments:

  1. wow that's a nice post and looks like u share a wonderful relation with ur kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aruna. My youngest son is training to be a chef so I'll, point him towards your recipes. The marble cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete