Sunday 10 May 2009

10k

As water carves through stone, those who persevere will win.

Anon

I did it! My first 10k run.

I'm not going to prattle on about the ups and downs of the race. It was all great and if I can do it then most people can. When I started my training schedule 11 weeks ago I could run at a steady pace for maybe 10 minutes. Today I ran over 6 miles in about 56 minutes (my timing. The official time will be slower as it takes a while for the runners like me who start at the back to reach the starting line). The winner ran it in just over 31 minutes. But they're probably half my age and a third of my weight.

The best thing about it was the sense of community. There were 1300 runners and hundreds more turned out to cheers us on. I saw people I knew starting the run and who I wasn't expecting to be there. And it was great to see others that I knew lining the way. My daughter tells me she was shouting to me at the end, but I was too focussed on my final run-in to hear her I'm afraid. For me, this is what living in a small town is all about. Even the local Fire crew were running in their helmets and trousers. Well done them. Well done to everyone who took part and to those who organised it so well and closed the roads off for us. Community at its best.

During the race I heard someone say 'why on earth do we do this?' and it is a sentiment I could share as the race wore on. But as soon as it was over I knew why we do it. A sense of having achieved something. I don't mind admitting I was quite emotional as I crossed the finish line (but soon pulled myself together as no one else seemed to be).

Last year I watched my youngest son complete the race and was envious of him. This year our roles reversed and it was him wishing that he had completed the course. My next 10k is in 3 weeks but there is another 10k in the area on 9th August. This is the day before my son and I set off to Turkey for an activities holiday (one reason why I have needed to improve my fitness) and we have agreed that we will run this one together so we are both in good shape for our holiday.

My time today was better than my son's time last year, which is purely down to the amount of training I have done. I suspect that on 9th August Dad is going to be put firmly in his place. Watch this space.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Many, many congratulations; a great achievement and within the time you set yourself. Nothing wrong with being emotional, I'd be too tired to stop myself! Well done!

    ReplyDelete