Wednesday 15 April 2009

Meeting Roger

Here is the poem I mentioned in my previous entry. I regard it as a performance piece. I did give an animated rendition of it at a poetry competition a couple of years ago, but the judges were not impressed.

By way of background - the poem refers to an event that occurred as part of the Hull Literary Festival. At the time he had brought out a collection of poems called 'Sporting Relations' and this featured heavily among his readings. I still have the signed copy. Any offers?

Hull Homage

It lingers in my memory
the day I met with Roger McGough
and
Roger
met
withme

A cold night in Hull
with nothing better to do
Roger came to give a reading
and to flog a book or two

Laughed so much I searched for breath
At Let me Die
a Youngman’s Death
imagine my elation
as Roge wheeled out each
Sporting Relation
a dozen cousins
a score of uncles
and just the one granny
old Roger is very lucky
to have such a big family

In the heady mix of humour and skill
my admiration grew
oh dearest crumpled Roger
how I long to be like you
stuffing this thought in my pocket
I headed for the loo
the interval was upon us
and poets must pee too

Wiping my hands on a bright green frock
I noticed the crowd had formed a flock
in the midst of this merry band
stood my hero
pen in hand

A mere tenner was all it took
to arm myself with Roger’s book
and hurl myself into the fray
so he and I can meet this day
drawn into Roger’s bosom
like one of his dozen cousin

Closer now
almost there
I can nearly touch
his wispy hair
then at once
the crowd subside
and poetic souls
at last collide

Now I’m here
what to say
on this our
very special day
my poetic powers
then grow weaker
and I ask Roge
for a Monika
I say something about
it not being summer
but Roge just stares
what a bummer

A swish of pen
the poet writes
the silence cuts
into the night
‘til still wet ink
breaks the lull
Roger McGough
and one word –
Hull

Ten years have passed
since we met
I’ve not made it
as a poet – yet
though I hope to sell
my book one day
- signed by Roger
stuck on e-bay
the man himself
sells by the stack
so I should at least
get my tenner back

1 comment: