Sunday 12 April 2009

Easter Sunday - Day 1

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Lao-tzu (604-531BC)

Greetings!

Easter Sunday seems like an appropriate time to start a new venture. I'm not a religious person but I am quite spiritual and I love the Easter message. For me it is one of hope and renewal. Of being given the grace to wipe the slate clean and start again.What better day to start my first blog?

About this blog

This blog is about a journey. Let me explain.I am a 50 year old bloke and I find myself in the fortunate and privileged position of being able to leave my job in 3 months (11 weeks and 5 days, not that I'm counting) and to retire. Wow!

My life is not so much at a crossroads as at the world's biggest roundabout. The choice of what to do next is massive.

The choices do have some boundaries though. I have three children at various stages of adolescence/adulthood who still need dear old Dad now and again when life presents its inevitable problems and, in the case of the youngest two, to provide financial support. And long may that be the case.

Taking stock

In the job I am leaving behind it is quite common for people to 'retire' when in their late 40's and early 50's. From careful observation I would say that about 90% do not plan their retirement in advance and simply wait to see what turns up. Most take up a new job, often very similar to or even identical to their old job. And with a pension and an income life goes on much as it has before, albeit sometimes with bigger cars and more exotic holidays.

I, on the other hand, must be a bit odd, because I can see no attraction in that whatsoever. I see the opportunity for a new life. A chance to re-invent myself. In one way or another I have been working towards this point for years.

I think I should point out that although I am blessed with having my two youngest children still living under my roof (although one is at university now), I am divorced so I don't have the obligations that those who have managed to be more successful at marriage than me have. I also live in a very modest house, choosing not to have a huge mortgage but to put money aside into my 'education' fund so that I don't have to work just to keep my kids at university or whatever.

Gap Year

Although you can't tell from this, I do aspire to be a writer and I am studying creative writing at my local university. For a long time my retirement plan was to allow myself some space to give it my best shot at writing. You know the stuff - get up in the morning, write a bit, go for a walk in the afternoon, write a bit more, create a best-seller, sell the film rights and maybe even blag a cameo in the movie. Sorted!

I haven't given up on that dream but I have become suspicious of it. For a start, 85% of all writers make a very modest income. And there's the time - should I invest it in this way? And finally there's mortality. That curious sense of never knowing what is round the corner and deciding to seize the day before it's too late.

If I believe in anything in life it is that if you give it long enough the natural way of things is balance. Ying and Yang. Or, the middle path as Buddha Chakyamuni described it. So, I have decided to grant myself the grace of a gap year. A time to step off the treadmill and learn things, mostly about myself.

The Middle Aged Gapper

Here's the plan:

To travel as extensively as time and money will allow, whilst still meeting my responsibilities to my children (and my dog). And, in the interest of balance I will be doing some writing along the way and seeking out opportunities to earn a few shekels between trips. Maybe even some voluntary work too.

This blog has a start and an end. It starts here and catalogues my last few weeks in a collar and tie. Then it moves off into the unknown and with any luck we will see fantastic things and meet wonderful people. It ends in July 2010 (after England win the World Cup at football (soccer)).

I have no idea how this ends, but my prayer is that it will be exciting and fulfilling for me and interesting for anyone who is gracious enough to follow my journey.

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the Bloggersphere, I look forward to sharing your journey (albeit in part and from afar.)

    To help you on the conveyor belt of change to traveller and writer, just remember this piece of philosophy I learned some time ago and one day it might just get you out of a jam and make you feel oh so good:

    I was getting into my car one day and this bloke said to me, "Give us a lift mate." He looked bedraggled, down on his luck; his shoes, once proud and shiney were dull and worn through to the linings. His face carried the burden's and heavy lines of life and his eyes were dull and pitiful. He needed a shave and a good bath to restore his dignity and self-esteem.

    I considered the moment and said, "Sure, you look great, the world's your oyster, go for it."

    ReplyDelete