Tuesday 23 June 2009

Ouch!

10 days to go! Only 10 days until my last day in a collar and tie, sat at a desk.

As my big day looms I have tried to find some other event in life to compare it to. The nearest I can get is my wedding day - the focus is so much on the day itself that what stretches beyond that day is not given much thought.

But this week I have begun to realise that my big day is just a portal to a whole new life. And with that realisation has come a feeling of excitement and of change.

Yesterday I visited a photographer to have my portrait taken. This was only the second time in my life that I have had a formal photo taken. The first was nearly 30 years ago when I began my current employment. I thought it would be interesting to have another photo or two taken to place alongside the younger me.

As requested I took along a few changes of clothes and these included a pair of trousers that I bought exactly a year ago. I haven't worn them since last summer and when I put them on at the studio I made the alarming discovery that they were too big in the waist by a whole 6 inches! I looked like I was wearing a clown's costume.

Once home I was prompted by my discovery to do two things. Firstly, I went through my wardrobe and promptly threw away half of my clothes. Most of them were a good 8 to 10 years old and suddenly seemed hideous. Secondly, I arranged to have three pairs of trousers taken in.

I am planning a trip to York at the weekend to buy new clothes, something I rarely do but which I am looking forward to. New clothes are symbolic of a new me.

And that's how I feel - new, or at least re-cycled. I do hope I keep the weight off though or I'll have now't to wear.

The other thing I did yesterday was to phone the hotel I am staying at in Montecatini, Italy at the end of next week. I wanted to confirm that my booking was still ok and get directions from the airport at Pisa.

Once I got off the phone the realisation dawned on me - I'm going to Italy next week. The big adventure is about to begin. Wow!

To add to the cycle of change I am going through I did something today that I have been promising myself for a long time and which I think is quite daring - for me at least.

Around my neck and usually hidden from view I wear a very nice Ying and Yang symbol. Years ago I used to wear a crucifix but Ying and Yang more accurately descibes the beliefs that I have - that all life is about balance and this is the nature of all things. Light and dark, positive and negative, good and bad, it all balances out in the end.

I like this simple symbol so much that I envisioned it tattoed on to my upper arm. But I promised myself that I would only get such a tattoo when I was in better shape physically. Well, I reckon I am and today, after a visit to the optician I then popped around the corner to a very modern tattoo parlour. Half an hour later and I walked out with a very raw upper arm and my first tattoo. How cool is that?

I imagine that at 50 years old I am somewhat older than most of the shop's customers and that some people may think I am either mad or stupid. But sod it, I love my tattoo (even if it is a bit red and sore at the moment) and I love the freedom it symbolises.

Slowly but surely a big box is being opened and my spirit is being set free. Rock on!

Live long and prosper.

1 comment:

  1. What's 50 - just a number?

    I too am running out of clothes but only buying new ones when the current ones look like bell tents is a man thing. A woman loses half a size - and it's new clothes; whereas men - well we make do don't we.

    The chains are slowly being discarded one by one, gently falling away almost imperseptibly except for people who are around you who can tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete