Tuesday 2 February 2010

Uluru, a rock in the park

I had the most wonderful blog lined up for day, full of interesting facts and anecdotes. But internet access is very expensive in the red heart of Australia and I've only got 15 minutes left on my pre-paid card. So here are the highlights.

The flight from Alice was quick but as we approached the airport the plane suddenly started to climb again. It was too windy to land and we were going round for another go. It got bumpy and thought of a similar trip in South Africa came flooding back. I broke into a cold sweat and it's testimony to my sickness pills that I didn't hurl everywhere.

The first thing to hit me was the heat - 37 degrees.

The first thing I bought was a net - to stick over my head and save me from the flies.

I was up at 4.30 this morning and joined a very small (just 3 of us) guided tour of Uluru. We walked around the base, had breakfast on the way and it was jolly hot by the time we got back to the Land Rover.

I learned so much. For instance, did you know that Uluru is not actually red? I mean it is, but not naturally. The rock is grey but it is the iron oxide dust that coats it that gives Uluru it's distinctive colour. That's right - Uluru is rusty.

I had been warned to expect a very uplifting and spiritual experience at Uluru. So how did I feel?

Well, nothing really. It's just a rock in the middle of nowhere. I've glad we've met and Uluru and I have promised to keep in touch but I just know that holiday talk and that neither of us will bother.

I can see it's deep significance to the indiginous population though. Every facet is covered in folklore and spiritual meaning.

If you want the anecdotes you'll have to wait for the book. Times up!

Live long and

2 comments:

  1. A bit RLS, yes. In Oz I found that the Aborigines are very much background noise and their culture and traditions do not loom large in everyday life. Maybe it's because I'm on the tourist trail but it is very different in NZ where maori culture is celebrated everywhere.

    And what a culture - warlike and yet welcoming, it is similar to native American tradition in it's focus on nature. I am very much in awe of the maoris and touched by their grace and beauty.

    I may even go native. Expect to touch noses twice when next we meet.

    MAG

    ReplyDelete