Monday 18 January 2010

P x 7

During my working life I learned the value of the 7 Ps - Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. As a habit it's one that I find hard to kick.

Roughly half way through my gap year, I can see a development in my approach to travelling as each journey pushes me a bit further out of my comfort zone.

My last big trip, to East Africa, was fantastic but I always had the safety net of JJ, Leo and Julius to keep me from harm and to guide me. On my next trip, to Australasia, I am pushing myself a bit further, but I am not yet the footloose and fancy free traveller, free to roam wherever the road may lead.

My addiction to the 7 Ps has led to me to hours of meticulous planning and I now have no fewer than 4 folders containing everything I need to make the next 5 weeks a success - one for travel documents, one for use in Australia, one for use in New Zealand and one with a back up of everything for me to give to Pete so that if any of the sharks, snakes or deadly spiders do get me in Australia he can carry on in New Zealand in my memory.

My packs are intended to save time and effort abroad. Want to know how to get from the Airport at Wellington to the hotel? Easy, there's a shuttle service and the number's in the pack. Need to confirm that the whale watching is going ahead? Easy, all the contact details are in the pack.

It all makes great sense but I can't help but feel that I'm cheating somehow. I'm away from home for 35 nights and I can tell you where I will be laying my weary head for all but one of those. That doesn't seem right. The missing night will be spent somewhere between Dunedin, in the far south of New Zealand, and Christchurch, my point of departure. Will finding the perfect resting place be a stress filled nightmare, or will to prove to be an uplifting experience in freedom? I'll let you know when I get back.

One or two people who kindly read this blog have asked if I will be keeping it up whilst I'm away. Well, yes and no. I'm travelling very light and certainly won't be able to take my laptop. Neither do I intend to while away precious drinking time in internet cafes. So I won't be writing lengthy updates on here. I can access the blog via may brilliant iPod, but I won't be typing away at length on that. Little tidbits will be served. Look upon them as the heures d'oeuvre.

I am, however, fully armed with notebooks and pens, a voice recorder and the most beautiful leather bound journal, given to me by someone very special, to record my every waking moment. So expect a more fulsome account of my antipodean adventure when I return at the end of February.


I probably won't be able to publish too many pictures from down under, so this is me trying to wean you off them.

Only 4 days to go until departure. I'm a mixture of eager anticipation and nerves, in case I have forgotten something. I think I'll just go and check my passport is in the correct wallet one more time.

Live long and prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment